Each class will be centered around a Spiritual and Physical theme for the day. This is for those curious students who are seeking personal growth and an immersed study of yoga. The curriculum I will be covering is from my 200-hr teacher trainings. I want to offer this depth of study to those who want to immerse without having to commit to a full 200-hrs of teacher training.
Class size is limited to 7 students.
You must pre-register for these classes (no drop ins).
We will abide by COVID safety protocols during each class.
Investment: $40 / class
Come prepared to sit for the study and meditation component and prepared to move and potentially sweat for the Yoga Asana segment.
Location: at The Yoga Studio Squamish 37776 2nd Avenue (upstairs)
What to bring:
- your own mask (to wear to your mat),
- a journal,
- a blanket,
- a light snack
- mat and any props you like to use. I am a fan of a bolster or cushion, a block and a strap.
What is the secret of yoga? How can the mind find true abiding peace? In what way do the practices of yoga relate to the rest of my life? Why are Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras such an important text in the yoga tradition?
These are some of the questions that we will dig into through this series, and more importantly this conversation will give you applicable understanding of the practices and principles that will take your yoga practice to a whole other dimension of depth on and off the mat.
We will explore and contemplate the main teachings of this foundational text, and practice some of the techniques that Patanjali offers. Covering teachings on ethics, meditation, how to approach yoga-asanas, and guidelines for living a meaningful and purposeful yogic lifestyle. The teachings are timeless and are meant to be read and referred to again and again by seekers on a spiritual path.
Each 3-hr class will be comprised of both in-depth group study (think book club), followed by a nice long practice. Each class can be taken independently or as a series.
Required Reading: There are many interpretations, choose one version you resonate with.
Some of my favourite interpretations are:
· The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Swami Satchidananda (also available in audiobooks)
SAT Sept 26 - 15:00 – 18:00 – Book 1, Part 1
SUN Sept 27 - 8:30 - 11:30am Book 1, Part 2
SAT Oct 3 - 4:00 - 7:00pm – Book 2, Part 1
SUN Oct 4 - 8:30 - 11:30am – Book 2, Part 2
SAT Oct 17 4:00 - 7:00pm – Book 3 + 4
• Understand the relationship between Ayurveda and yoga
• Understand your doshic constitution
• Understand simple Ayurvedic practices that can easily integrate into your daily routine
For a sustainable yoga-asana practice, we use Tadasana pose as a blueprint for each asana to reveal compensations (the path of least resistance) and maintain optimal alignment in the body.
Remember the book 'Where's Waldo'? Tadasana is the Waldo in each of the poses.
• Understand why Tadasana is considered the blueprint pose
• Learn how to find and keep the Tadasana blueprint in each of category of poses
• Understand the general anatomy of the shoulder girdle
• Understand the function of the rotator cuff
• Identify the common misalignments of the shoulder that occur in yoga and experience how to prevent them though stable alignment
• Understand the general anatomy of the knee
• Understand the muscles that impact the knee
• Understand how to protect and stabilize your knee in asana
• Understand the general anatomy of the hip
• Appreciate how the shape of your bones affects movement and asana practice
• Discover how to counteract bad posture by opening your hip flexors effectively
• Experience how finding your stabilizers can transform your practice
• Understand how to design an intelligent sequence for your sport
• Understand how to design an intelligent restorative home practice
• Discover the origins yoga
• Understand Yoga Sutras and their importance
• Understand the significance of the Bhagavad Gita
• Understand the relevance of the asana practice within the greater history of yoga
SAT Dec 5 4:00 - 7:00pm
SUN Dec 6 8:30 - 11:30am
SAT Dec 12 4:00 - 7:00pm
SUN Dec 13 8:30 - 11:30am
SAT Dec 19 4:00 - 7:00pm
SUN Dec 20 8:30 - 11:30am
I humbly acknowledge that I work, play and live on the unceded lands of the Coast Salish Peoples, in the territory of Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish Nation).
Copyright © 2020 Kristin Campbell Yoga - All Right